Wednesday, April 10, 2013

9th April Lights out

In a rush to arrive on time I forgot my trainers and water bottle, duh, rookie mistake. And we had the excitement of not knowing what activity we would be doing...

Tonight we covered sugars, fats and salt. The idea is that naturally occurring sugars (fructose and lactose) are better than added sugar (glucose), with the exception of honey which is also glucose so is the balsa wood of the sugar world. Vegetable fat is better than animal fat, but here there is another balsa wood, it's coconut oil which is not from an animal but has more saturates so that's best avoided too.  And then salt which is generally bad for you although like all these things, you do need a little.

And I was able to ask my question about last week and it turns out that pre-prepared carbohydrates meant refined as in wholemeal, so at least one of my suggestions was right.

Then it was time for the activity which turned out to be tennis.  Ok, I thought.  It was large, sponge tennis balls and junior sized racquets which seeing as we were playing in the small hall, was just as well.  We did some warm ups bouncing the balls around and then took it in turns to hit the ball over the net. It seemed a shame for such a small group that we could only play one at a time, but as there were only four of us (the same four as last week), it didn't take too long for the turn to come around.

Then the inevitable happened. One of the group (ok it might have been me) hit one of the (very soft) balls into a wall light bulb. It flickered... and got brighter, strangely. We all had a little laugh. Then a few minutes later the bulb gave up the ghost and fused all the lights. While I was feeling particularly embarrassed I did at least have the presence of mind to go and find the fusebox and flick the fuse back on. Everything then carried on as before. Except I felt a bit sheepish.

I enjoyed playing but was expecting us to end up playing together, so the session ended suddenly when it became clear we'd run out of time and this wasn't going to happen.  And as we were leaving I again forgot to ask what we will be doing next week. Staying well clear of the electrics I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, targets: water, yeah I drank a lot of it, even though someone at work threw my water bottles away. Veg, yes I ate three portions more than my target. Walking, yes, three extra walks this week. Oh and a reward, hmm, a day to myself, how lovely.

    ReplyDelete