Thursday, April 4, 2013

2nd April A walk in the park

We had quite an interesting discussion about carbohydrates this evening. We had to categorise them into "processed" and "unprocessed" but I don't think I really understood what this meant. Some of the time unprocessed seemed to mean wholegrain, sometimes low GI, sometimes not pre-prepared, sometimes low sugar. We took a long time on this and the outcome was that if it's brown, it's good and if it's white, it's bad. Apart from Basmati rice which looks white but is as good as brown. [I'm bizarrely reminded of balsa, the soft hardwood.]

We were the same three as last week until a new person arrived. A man, no less. That should change the dynamic a little and hopefully mean with four on the course, a teacher and an activity leader, we have two teams of three for more exciting sports. I'm not thinking anything too way out, just something like the one where you stand on a bench and try to catch a ball.

But today it was a walk in the park. It didn't live up to the heights of boxercise but we were set a good pace and to my surprise walked all the way around the edge of the whole of Horsham Park in a touch over twenty minutes. It made a difference having a pace setter I think as apparently we were going 3.5 miles an hour.

The best part of the session was setting some goals for the course.  I've chosen to go for at least two twenty minute walks a week, on top of what I usually do, average at least 4 portions of fruit and veg a day and to drink at least 2.5 litres of water a day. I can't believe that this little will benefit me very much at all, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.  I couldn't, however, think of any rewards to give myself for achieving my goals so I'm supposed to come up with these for next week.  Everything that springs to mind costs either time or money I don't have.  Or it's so good I'm going to do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment